Tuscany: ready for the first edition of Elba Island marathon?
- Published: 26 April 2016
- Category: Events
The classic one is 42,195 kilometres long, the half one instead is 21,097 kilometres long. In both cases, these are the hardest challenges for a runner. If this is just the kind of race during which you’d like to put yourself to the test, the first Elba Island marathon, Tuscany, will take place on May 8, 2016, in Marina di Campo.
- The marathon route: Procchio (piazza del Mare)-Marina di Campo-Colle Palombaia-Cavoli-Seccheto-Fetovaia-Bivio Pomonte and return.
- The half marathon route: Procchio (piazza del Mare)-Marina Di Campo-Colle Palombaia-Cavoli-Seccheto and return to Marina di Campo (lungomare Fabio Mibelli).
In both cases, the road is flat but the race is quite challenging.
An island to discover
During the marathon, participants and fans, running through various stages of this exciting sport event, will have the chance to discover two of the most beautiful and enchanting places of the whole island:
- Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba, the coastal road from Marina di Campo to Procchio.
- The so called Costa del Sole (literally, “coast of the sun”), famous for wonderful beaches such as Spiaggia delle Pietre Albe, Spiaggia del Relitto, Fetovaia, Seccheto, Cavoli.
How to get there
Portoferraio is the main tourist port of the island. To get from Portoferraio to Marina di Campo:
- Take the county road 24 to Procchio.
- From Procchio, take the county road 25 and follow the road signs to Marina di Campo.
The journey by car takes less that 30 minutes.
For further information about the 2016 edition of Elba Island marathon, Tuscany (characteristics of the routes, how to participate, any changes), you can visit the official website of the event, Maratonadellisoladelba.it.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/ryanknapp