Trekking on Elba Island from La Parata to Volterraio to discover birds of prey
- Published: 5 October 2015
- Category: Things to Do
Visiting Elba Island through its numerous trekking paths is the best way to admire its panoramas and discover the vegetation. If you love birds of prey, the path from La Parata to Volterraio is perfect for you.
Lenght: 4.3 kilometers
Duration: 2 hours
Difficulty level: hard
- Don’t be fooled by the brief duration of this trekking path that will let you discover Elba Island from La Parata to Volterraio, because you’ll walk at high altitudes.
- The path starts in La Parata and extends along the ridge of the oriental hogback. Looking at east and west, you won’t believe: you’ll be surrounded by the sea.
- Along the path you’ll walk through woods of holm oaks and low bushes. Here you can admire the slow and fascinating flight of falcons and ravens. Even non experts can easily spot them, because, unlike the others birds of prey they usually fly along a big circle in the air to observe the surrounding territories.
- And, if you want, you can walk in two different deviations. The first will take you to the hermitage of Santa Caterina, where you can admire a botanical garden. The second will guide you to the Volterraio peak where there’s an ancient castle.
Rio Nell’Elba is the nearest inhabited center to the starting point of the trekking path that will let you discover Elba Island from La Parata to Volterraio and it’s easily reachable from Rio Marina.
Image source: “Elba volterraio da panche” di F Ceragioli – Opera propria. Con licenza CC BY-SA 3.0 tramite Wikimedia Commons