Schiacciunta: eggs and lemon for one of Elba’s most typical recipes
- Published: 3 December 2015
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
Elba Island cuisine has the capability to combine the simplicity of the ingredients with a unique and unmistakable taste. Such as schiacciunta, one of the most typical recipes of the island.
- 3 eggs
- 300 grams of flour
- 300 grams of sugar
- 100 grams of lard
- yeast (or, alternatively, a teaspoon of bicarbonate)
- grated lemon peel
It is, as you can see from the ingredients, a very simple cake. The preparation is not at all complicated. Lard and lemon peel give the schiacciunta its characteristic flavor.
How to prepare:
- In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar, lard, bicarbonate and lemon peel. You have to use strictly hands (and never the whip, as many do).
- The result should be a smooth paste.
- Take a baking tray, put in oil and flour. Pour the paste into the baking tray.
- Bake it at 180°C for about three quarters of an hour.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on the schiacciunta.
Schiacciunta is one of the most typical Elba Island cake and, along with schiaccia briaca, is always prepared during the most important events of the year.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/annabanana74