Elba Island cuisine: the recipe of gurguglione, to prepare in winter
- Published: 26 November 2015
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
In winter (but also in autumn) there’s nothing better than a good hot meal. Especially if, in addition to the taste of the ingredients, you can enjoy all the culinary traditions of a land. And it is the case of gurguglione, one of the most typical dishes of Elba Island.
- a big onion
- 800 grams of peppers (green, yellow and red)
- 3 very large eggplants
- 2 zucchini
- a couple of leaves of basil
- 600 grams of ripe tomatoes
- two glasses of oil (strictly extra virgin)
The ingredients are quite particular. Because Elba’s cuisine is now associated with fish recipes. Instead, in the gurguglione there are the vegetables that you can find on the island.
How to prepare:
- Cut the peppers into four parts.
- Cut eggplant and zucchini into large pieces.
- Chop up tomatoes.
- Cut the onion into very thin slices.
- Chop up parsley and basil.
- Take an iron pan and pour in two cups of oil and a pinch of salt. Heat the oil for a minute and a half at most.
- Add all the vegetables, basil and parsley.
- Cover the pan and cook at medium heat.
One last, precious recommendation: the gurguglione should be served hot.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/joannova