An idea for a December 2016 short sea trip: what about Elba Island?
- Published: 31 October 2016
- Category: Things to Do
You have decided to dedicate four days in December 2016 to spend a short trip near a wonderful sea. And you’d like to visit Italy. Now, you only need a good idea: a place with unforgettable sea, beautiful landscapes, and small and cosy villages.
Because, event of it’s winter, you can’t renounce to admire and feel the atmospheres, the colours and the scents of the sea. And this is exactly what awaits you on Elba Island.
- First day: Portoferraio. The Medici fortresses are ancient fortifications built to defend Portoferraio: the three pillars of this system are Forte Falcone, Forte Stella and Torre della Linguella. Visiting the fortresses, you will discover atmospheres, views and monuments of this city. In the evening and at night, the things to do in Portoferraio are several.
- Second day: the Anello occidentale. It’s the coastal road from Procchio to Marina di Campo. But it’s not only “a road”, because it passes through the most beautiful panoramas that Elba Island can offer you: marinas, small villages on the top of the hills, landscapes overlooking the sea, the chestnut trees.
- Third day: Porto Azzurro. This day begins with a stroll along the Passeggiata Carmignani, from the seafront of Porto Azzurro to Barbarossa beach, where you can admire a wonderful sea. The day continues visiting the marina and a couple of the other beaches near Porto Azzurro. And finally it ends with a dinner in a restaurant by the sea.
- Fourth day: the most beautiful beaches. Maybe you won’t bathe into the sea, but you can’t visit Elba Island without discovering some of its most beautiful beaches, such as delle Ghiaie, Padulella, Enfola and Fetovaia: even in winter, these places will give you unforgettable views and a couple of good ideas for the next summer holidays.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/jackdaw