Cycling in Elba Island: the path of Calamita mount
- Published: 28 September 2015
- Category: Things to Do
For you, there is no vacation if you don’t take with you your beloved bike. Are you dreaming about beautiful paths, between seas and mounts? If yes, the perfect destination for you is Elba Island. And, if you’re looking for some ideas to practice biking, we have a suggest you’ll find very interesting: it’s the path of Calamita mount.
Length: 12 kilometers
Difficulty level: easy
- The starting and ending point is Capoliveri, on the southern coast of Elba Island. Starting from here, you’ll bike along the path that goes through the zone of the ancient iron mines.
- The path is really large and well-maintained. Going through it, you’ll see a vegetation made of Mediterranean maquis: brooms, mimosas and achaias. But you’ll also see cork oaks and pine woods.
- If flora has a very important rule, so is fauna: while you’re cycling, you’ll have the possibility to admire partridges, hares and herring gulls.
- And, talking about seagulls, they give their name to the so-called Costa dei Gabbiani (Coast of the seagulls), one of the most beautiful coast of the island: once you’re there, you can do a little deviation.
Capoliveri could be easily reached from Portoferraio, the main town of the island: you just have to take the provincial road 26 to Mola and then follow the road signs to Capoliveri.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/aadm