Christmas in Tuscany 2015: 5 ideas for a vacation to Elba Island
- Published: 9 November 2015
- Category: Events
In winter, Elba Island never ceases to amaze. You have decided to spend Christmas holidays 2015 in Tuscany. Great, great choice. And we have 5 ideas for you.
1. Christmas market
Can you imagine something more suggestive of a Christmas market? The scents of sweets prepared only at this time of year, the lights, the colorful stalls… The most important Christmas market of the island is in Sant’Ilario, which will take place on November 29.
2. Typical dishes
As mentioned before, there are some specialties that are prepared only (or almost) during Christmas. The Christmas recipe par excellence on Elba Island is the schiaccia briaca. But do not stop there: the typical dishes of the island will enrich your winter holidays.
3. Christmas atmosphere
- Would you like to spend Christmas strolling through narrow, tenuously illuminated, ancient streets where there are small shops and cozy restaurants? Welcome to the old town centre of Portoferraio.
- If you prefer sea views and small towns built between coast and hills, l’Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba is the path for you.
Christmas holidays may be the perfect opportunity to enjoy a couple of days dedicated only to relaxation. Is this your dream? Not far from Portoferraio, the main town on the island, there are the thermal baths of San Giovanni. Where you will restore mind and body.
5. And, at least, New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Eve is celebrated on Elba Island in two ways:
- special dinner in a restaurant of the old town centre of Portoferraio and then fireworks show on the waterfront
- dance until dawn in one of the clubs of Elba Island
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/linz