Christmas traditions of Elba Island: this the recipe of tasty corollo
- Published: 21 December 2015
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
When you say Christmas on Elba Island, the first thing that comes to your mind is schiaccia briaca, famous recipe prepared only during this period of the year. Indeed, there is even another culinary specialty that is always present on the tables of Elba when Christmas is arriving: it’s the so-called corollo, a tasty donut-shaped cake.
- 500 grams of flour
- 150 grams of butter
- 300 grams of sugar
- 4 eggs
- a small glass of Anisette
- a glass of milk
- grated lemon rind
- baking vanilla
- icing sugar
How to prepare:
- Beat eggs in a bowl.
- Soften the butter using only your hands.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour.
- Heat the milk. When the milk is lukewarm, add baking vanilla.
- Put the beaten eggs and the softened butter in the well of flour.
- Add sugar, Anisette, grated lemon rind and lukewarm milk.
- Mix everything working the dough slowly and using only your hands.
- Grease with butter and flour a donut-shaped mold.
- Pour the dough into the mold.
- Bake it at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down.
- Before serving, sprinkle icing sugar on the donut-shaped cake.
Prepare the corollo is very, very easy. This is the cake par excellence of the island: very tasty, it is always prepared at Christmas time as a good omen for the year to come.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/dinnerseries