Spending Christmas 2017 on Elba Island: a 7-day itinerary
- Published: 4-12-2017
- Category: Events
Your desire is this: enjoy a holiday on the occasion of Christmas 2017. Holiday that you want to spend on Elba Island. Have you booked the ferry trip? We will give you a 7-day itinerary, from December 25th to 31st. And the town where we suggest you to stay is Portoferraio.
- December 25th. The Christmas day will be celebrated with the solemn Mass in the several churches of Portoferraio. After that, as tradition requires, there is the Christmas lunch: in the restaurants of Portoferraio, you can taste the traditional dishes of the island. In the evening, nothing better than a pleasant walk through the narrow streets of the town.
- December 26th. It’s the time to visit Portoferraio. The main town on the island has a lot to offer, such as the old town, the Medici fortresses and beaches (the views that they will give you are simply unforgettable). Not far away, there are the remains of three ancient Roman villas.
- December 27th. From May 4th, 1814, to February 27th, 1815 (almost a year), the first French emperor lived on Elba Island. And the island still preserves several places linked to Napoleon Bonaparte: seeing them will be like journey back in time.
- December 28th. It is the day to visit Porto Azzurro. And here the things to see are several, such as Piazza Matteotti, Forte Longone and the passeggiata Carmignani. We recommend you to eat fish dishes in one of the many restaurants by the sea.
- December 29th. If the weather is fine, we suggest you to admire the most spectacular view that Elba Island can ever give you. From Marciana, on foot you can reach the top of Mount Capanne. The path is not demanding. Once at the top, you can see the whole island surrounded by a wonderful sea.
- December 30th. The Western ring of Elba Island (Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba) is the coastal road from Procchio to Marina di Campo. You will admire villages on the hills or overlooking the sea.
- December 31st. Usually, the arrival of the new year is greeted in Portoferraio, on the seashore, with music and the fireworks show (for further information, visit municipality of Portoferraio official website, Comune.portoferraio.li.it). And if you want to dance until dawn, you can choose between the two main discos on Elba Island, Club 64 and Decò.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/mctrabaRelated articles