From Campo ai Peri to Acquabona: just for real hikers
- Published: 19-10-2015
- Category: Things to Do
In the hearth of Elba Island equipped just with trekking shoes and with your passion for excursions. Through woods, slopes and small clearings from which you can also see the sea. This is the path from Campo ai Peri to Acquabona.
Lenght: 6 kilometers
Duration: 4 hours
Difficulty level: medium-easy
- The starting point is Campo ai Peri.
- Where Burraccio street crosses the provincial road, proceed for 100 meters to the valley floor.
- Once you arrive in Fosso dei Catenacci, the road turns right through some houses. After the last one, walk for other 100 meters and you’ll reach a trail that takes to the road on the other side of Fosso dei Catenacci.
- After few meters, take the uphill trail that takes, after 30 minutes of walking, to the peak of a small hill. From this, you can see both Porto Azzurro’s gulf and Stella’s gulf.
- After 20 minutes of walking, you’ll reach a thick wood of pinasters and black pines. This part of the trail is uphill and very steep.
- At the intersection of the two forest roads, take the uphill one. After about 10 minutes you’ll reach a clearing: here you can find ancient military fortifications that date back to the Second World War.
- With Portoferraio’s natural harbor at your left, go along the forest road that goes through a big pinewood.
- After about 30 minutes of walking, you’ll reach a zone without trees. From here starts a trail, very narrow and steep, that goes to the peak of Orello mount. Also here there are rests of military fortresses.
- Here it starts the descent. Follow the mule track that enters in the Mediterranean maquis (holm oaks, strawberry trees, cork oaks).
- After a rocky bottom steep slope (walking through it takes about three quarters of an hour), you’ll reach an unpaved road that goes until Acquabona.
Campo ai Peri can be easily reached both from Portoferraio and Capoliveri driving through the provincial road 26: in the first case, the trip lasts about 15 minutes by car, in the second case 12 minutes.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/mctrabaRelated articles