Elba Island: on December 8th the story of the Campese Middle Ages is told
- Published: 6-11-2017
- Category: Events
December 8 will be one of the last days of autumn. Taking advantage of the fact that it is a festive day, you may hear a story full of charm and suggestions: that of the Campese Middle Ages.
An ancient history
San Piero is to be built in full Lombard domination, so in about 800 Ad. During this period, the resort became the main center for the extraction and subsequent sorting of granite. A story that will be thoroughly told by architect Silvestre Ferruzzi, in the gallery Don Milani, located in the square of the Church.
3 days to live
The Campese Middle Ages, as already mentioned, will be held on December 8, Friday. There are all the necessary conditions to enjoy a pleasant weekend on Elba island.
- December 8th. Waiting for the event to begin, you can begin to visit the mineralogical museum and take a tour around San Piero to discover the caprils, the piers, the chapels and the ramparts. And in the evening, at 9.30 pm, a Gregorian song concert is always in San Piero.
- December 9th. You will spend it in Portoferraio. In one day, arranging well the time available, you can see the most beautiful places in the main inhabited city of the island, such as the historic center and Napoleon’s home.
- December 10th. From Portoferraio, in about twenty minutes you reach Porto Azzurro, and even here there are a lot of things to see, like Matteotti square and Longone fort.
How to get
San Piero in Campo is a village in the municipality of Campo nell’Elba. The main marina nearby is Portoferraio. To get from Portoferraio to San Piero in Campo, you must:
- Take the county road 24 to Procchio;
- From Procchio, take the county road 25 to Marina di Campo;
- From Marina di Campo, follow the road signs to San Piero in Campo.
The car journey (a car you can take to the ferry) takes about 34 minutes.
For more information on the 2017 edition of the Campese Middle Ages event (full program, how to attend, changing of dates and timetables), see Facebook group Le Macinelle (organizing event), Facebook.com/groups/lemacinelle.
Image source: Di Ferpint – Opera propria, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25004135Related articles