For hikers: 8 places to see along the Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba
- Published: 7 June 2017
- Category: Things to Do
An itinerary recommended to every hiker. It is also recommended for those who are simply spending a holiday in this destination. We are talking about the so-called Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba (literally, “Western Ring of Elba Island”): the coastal road from Procchio to Marina di Campo.
Although it is not simply a “road”. Because it is a sort of trail that touches some of the most beautiful places on the island: the marinas, the small villages on the hills, the landscapes overlooking the sea, the chestnuts.
And these are the eight stages of the journey:
- Isolotto della Paolina. From Procchio, take the road to Marina di Campo. The name of the islet comes from Pauline Bonaparte who seems to have loved this place.
- Cabinovia del monte Capanne. It’s reachable by the county road from Marciana Marina. It could be a great opportunity to enjoy a pleasant hike on Monte Capanne.
- Marciana Marina. A small, cosy and picturesque village near the sea. From here, a road leads to Marciana Alta.
- Fortezza pisana. It’s reachable following the road signs from Marciana Marina. From this small fortress, you can enjoy a wonderful view: the rooftops of Marciana Marina, the coast, Corsica, Capraia.
- Poggio. Another small village, this time on the slopes of Monte Capanne: a place made of narrow lanes, small churches, and small houses.
- Chiessi. From the road that leads to Chiessi, you can admire Corsica, Giglio Island, and some of the most beautiful islands near Elba, such as Montecristo and Pianosa.
- Golfo di Fetovaia. Famous among divers, this gulf is especially appreciated for the views it gives.
- Marina di Campo. Along the road that leads to the end of the Anello occidentale dell’isola d’Elba, the last stop is the cliff overlooking a wonderful blue sea.
A path that you will not forget. What do you expect to book your ferry to Elba Island?
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/iruben